Course: DE CONSTRUCTING THE CULTURE OF SPORT
Lecturer: DR. I MAN BLAK /DON DAVIS, PhD
Dates: OCTOBER 9, 16, 23, 30
This course is designed to provide an understanding of the cultural dynamics of Caribbean societies and their diasporas. It explores issues of identity, critical consciousness and ways of knowing; and it provides insights into music, festivals, rituals, performance, visual arts, sport, language, literature, oral discourse and the religious/spiritual expressions of Caribbean societies. The structure of the course is modular and weekly seminars will be led by specialists, as outlined below.
Dr. Donna P. Hope (Festivals, Ritual and Performance)
Dr. Imani Tafari Ama (Religion/Spirituality) Dr. Iman Blak (Sports)
Dr. Veerle Poupeye (Visual Arts)
Dr. Nicole Scott (Language)
· To analyse distinctive Caribbean cultural practices and creative expressions.
· To locate Caribbean cultural concepts, and processes within their global frames.
· To articulate relationships of power such as class, ethnicity, colonialism as they are implicated in Caribbean culture.
· To analyse the gender dynamics within Caribbean cultural expressions.
· To interpret the ways in which these cultural dynamics are connected with development.
· To assess the theoretical implications that emerge from these phenomena.
2013 COURSE OUTLINE
Theory of Deconstruction- Foucault, Derrida
Theories on Work and Play- Freud, Akbar
Theories on Games and Sport- Sage, Hargreaves
Governance- IOC, FIFA
Sport in social history- Pre and Post Emancipation Era
Industrial Britain- Issues of race, gender, class, color, religion
SPORT as a Site of Identity Formation; Resistance; Liberation and Development
USA Athletics- Jesse Owen, 1968 Mexico
Boxing- Arthur Johnson 1908), Ray Robinson, Ali
Baseball- Jackie Robinson Brooklyn Dodgers 1945; Branch Rickey
Tennis- Althea Gibson
CARIBBEAN Cricket- Headley, Worrell; Apartheid; Packer Series
Domino – NEW NATIONAL PAST TIME in JAMAICA
Equestrian (horse racing)- introduction to PROFESSIONAL PLAY /GAMBLING
Sunday racing in Jamaica
Golf [Elite Sport] Tennis- Althea Gibson
Swimming, Polo, Badminton,
Europe vs South America; Pele AND Brazil
Regional - Cuba, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago
Local - JFF, ISSA
Reggae Boyz Road to France Campaign – Identity;Local vs Foreign
SPORT and Liberation
SPORT and Religion- Does God care??
SPORT as INDUSTRY
2 TOPICS for PRESENTATION
2 TOPICS for SHORT ESSAY
- Title: Inaugural Academic Conference on International Football - Mona 2014
- Posted by:
- Date: 7:42 PM